NON-SURGICAL ROOT CANALS
What is a root canal?
Inside each tooth is a chamber of pulp and contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue. When this pulp becomes infected – also known as an abscess tooth – a root canal procedure is necessary to remove the infection and prevent tooth loss or other serious consequences. A root canal is a safe, effective, and quick treatment to preserve the tooth. Infections of the pulp can be caused by trauma to the tooth, deep decay, cracks and chips, or repeated dental procedures.
Symptoms and Signs of an Infection
Symptoms that indicate a root canal may be necessary include:
Throbbing pain in the tooth or gums
- Visible injury or swelling around the tooth
- Heightened sensitivity to heat or cold
- Pain when chewing or biting
- Facial swelling
- Swelling of lymph nodes in the neck
- Fever and chills along with tooth pain
If you experience any of the above symptoms, we recommend that you call Dr. Park at our Rochester, NY, dental office right away. We will perform a thorough examination to determine if the tooth pulp is infected, and complete a root canal to protect your smile and your body from the dangers that can occur if left untreated. Please note that If Dr. Park determines that you are not a good candidate for this endodontic treatment, or the chance of success is not likely, you will be informed at the time of your first consultation.
Root Canal Procedure
a small access hole will first need to be made. Through this hole, debris and infection can easily be removed.
- Dr. Park will thoroughly explain the root canal procedure and post-root canal care.
- We use local anesthesia to eliminate discomfort. In addition, we will provide nitrous oxide analgesia if indicated.
- A small access hole is made so that debris and infection can easily be removed. Dr. Park will put in a temporary filling until a dental crown can be fabricated and placed over the tooth to protect it from further damage. This dental crown will be shaped, colored, and made to fit perfectly in your smile..
- We will schedule a follow-up appointment to complete the restoration process and perform the dental crown procedure.
Most our patients are able to drive home after their root canal and return to normal activity right away. It is rare that our patients experience complications after having a root canal treatment. However, if an issue does occur, we will make ourselves available as soon as possible to evaluate the tooth and take whatever actions are necessary to alleviate the problem. Practicing good oral hygiene will help to prevent further tooth decay.
How much will a root canal treatment cost?
The cost associated with a root canal procedure depends on a number of factors such as the severity of damage to the infected tooth and which tooth is affected. It is important to note that a root canal is a much less expensive treatment than tooth removal and artificial tooth
If you suspect you have an abscessed tooth, please call our Rochester, NY, office at (585) 266-4860 to schedule a root canal evaluation.